Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In the Meantime

I am at an "In the meantime" period of my life...

One of my former pastor's did a sermon series on "In the meantime", you know, that period of time when you've asked for something to happen over and over and over. You're not getting a "yes" or "no" answer. So your just waiting....

Historically I hate these periods of time. I am an organizer and planner at heart. I love goals!  I am not so rigid in my planning that I don't enjoy spontaneous fun but I like to have an idea of what I am doing. 

During my recent reading of "What Happens When Women Say Yes To God" by Lesa TerKeurst, I discovered started with a question to God and got a definitive answer. Now in truth, it was not the answer I was looking for.  It was a :"continue what you are doing where you are right now" answer.  I was hoping for a new job to fit into my children's school schedule and bring us back to a dual income family.  I got, "continue what you are doing right where I have put you. Serve my people.  

Ok, God...I say trying not to be disappointed by having to once again sort through which bills to pay and not pay this month. 

What I have learned through my former Pastor's sermon series was that in these times you need to seeking God. How...thru prayer and study of His word. The truth is that these years that God is allowing me to stay home and take care of my family, I have time. Time that I never had while I was working full time outside of the home. Time to sit in the presence of his Holy Spirit. Now don't get me wrong, I can't spend my whole day on my favorite chair in meditation. But I have to a choice as to what I do and when I do it. So I don't have to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get in my time with God. 5:30 doesn't seem to work well for me anyway because there are other things that I seem to need to do to get the day started.

These days I can get my kids on the bus at 7:15, get my husband out the door and then sit down at my desk or my black chair in what is becoming my "office". And spend time listening to praise music and reading.  I have often journaled and these days, because I can get so easily distracted, I am also trying to write down prayers in a prayer journal to keep my focus.  


As a young single woman, I met a man that I developed a wonderful friendship with over the years I began to grow in love with him. It seemed though that he was struggling with the idea of commitment. It was during that time that I wrote out 1 Cor 1:4-8 as a plea that my love for him would grow in line with that scripture. I substituted our names. Whether or not our relationship became a marriage, I wanted his friendship and I wanted it to be in line with what God wanted.  

I came across the two page prayer the other day and have since mislaid it but it was a reminder to me that I read that prayer every day for months from that sheet. And you know what......

That man and I have been married now for going on 10 years and have two beautiful sons.  I can't deny God's timing.  He gave me more than I could have ever imagined back then and so many of the dreams that I have had over my lifetime have come true...

In the meantime...I pray, study and wait, in expectation...

"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment